Monday, February 13, 2012
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
There is no such thing as single approach to child rearing. Through the years, psychologists and aspiring parents have been trying to figure out as to what approach would be best to develop a well-rounded person.
Diana Baumrind, a well known theorist for human development concluded four major parenting styles – authoritarian, permissive, uninvolved and authoritative.
Authoritarian parenting style expects children to follow and abide rules and regulations established by parents. The rationale for every action is not established and not clear. As a result, children are less likely to develop independence and confidence in personal judgment.
On the other hand, permissive parenting refers to the nurturing parents. Children are not expected to act maturely and have no or less regulation. This parenting has a higher tendency to develop “spoiled brats” than any other parenting styles.
Uninvolved parent are detached and unresponsive to their children. They feel that personal issues need to be resolved first rather than think for welfare of their children. As a result, the child becomes withdrawn and tyrant to his environment.
Lastly, the authoritative parenting is also known as balanced parenting. While establishing rules and regulations, it also provides a nurturing environment for the child to develop. These parents are also attentive to the demands of their child and teach rather than punish if ever they become at fault. The child then develops a high sense of self-worth and independence.
There is no definite formally in rearing for the perfect child and not a single style can also achieve such feat. Every approach has its different result and a combination could sometimes be more beneficial. So, what kind of parent are you?
Thursday, November 3, 2011
Often times, people seem to engage in eating whatever they assume to be digestible without taking into consideration that they could have been endangering not only their health but even their lives.
Mixing dangerous drugs together with their favorite meal usually happens without them even realizing. Often times, they are unaware that harmful interactions can occur whenever such medications are combined with specific food since they are harmless when taken individually. What used to be a cure to the body has now turned into a poison. The combination of specific food and drug either cause efficacy reduction or toxic production.
Read on to know more.
- As its name implies, antibiotics are given by your physicians in order to eliminate and kill bacteria from your system. They also help get rid of viruses and fungi. While taking the medication, it is a must for you to avoid alcohol consumption. Alcohol’s effect to our body causes reduced water retention due to evaporation from heat lose and diuresis. When combined with antibiotics, adverse effect can happen. Most common ones are headaches and stomach upsets. But the most worrisome reaction would be that of a metronidazole (flagl) and tinidazole (fasigyn) which can cause irregular heartbeats.
- Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) is a drug commonly used since it targets a wide range of bacterial infection. Unfortunately, it would be useless if taken with dairy products due to its calcium content. Calcium easily binds to Cipro causing a reduced effect. Refrain from taking dairy products such as cheese, yogurts or milk within 2 hours before and after taking the medication.
- These medications are designed to lower the complications of cardiovascular diseases caused by hypertension by lowering the blood pressure. Examples are the ACE inhibitors (ACEI) and calcium channel blockers (CCB). All of these drugs have the potential to interact with food.
o ACEI – these drugs prevent the conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II which is primarily a vasoconstrictor. An adverse effect on this is hyperkalemia since the sodium content in the circulation is decreased. In this relation, foods rich in potassium should be avoided so as to prevent the complications. Toxicity level is manifested by tingling sensations, nausea, dysrhythmias and fatigue.
o CCB – the calcium channels of our smooth muscles (vascular system) help in vasoconstriction and when blocked helps lower down blood pressure. When taken together with grapefruit and peppermint, it causes an added effect resulting in increased blood pressure drop to more than what is desired. Life-threatening effects of hypotension are likely to occur if not prevented.
- These medications are prescribed as blood thinners. Vitamin K facilitates the formation of blood clot and thus food rich in this component should be avoided. Examples rich in Vitamin K are spinach, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce and cabbage. On the other hand, you should avoid garlic, onion and vitamin E since it has an added effect to the drug leading to bleeding.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDS are drugs that are commonly taken as pain relievers or anti-inflammations. Normally, the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX) helps in the production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins help in the protection of stomach lining. NSAIDs block the COX enzyme causing a reduced production of prostaglandins. In this connection, alcohol and food rich in acid content should be avoided. It is also not advisable to take this medication with an empty stomach.
These are just few of the most common harmful food and drug interaction that should be avoided. The single best way to avoid such complications is to prevent administration of over the counter medications and consult a physician. It is also beneficial to read the labels first before taking the medication. This way, you prevent serious irreversible damages.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Needless to elaborate, here are some of my favorite call center jokes:
Definition of terms:
1) Active Socially - Drinks a lot
2) Careful Thinker - Won’t make a decision
3) Uses Logic on Difficult jobs - Gets someone else to do it
4) Expresses Themselves Well - Speaks English
5) Prairie dogging - where people’s heads pop up over the walls to see what’s going on from the cubicles
The Visayan Caller
Local client so mostly pinoy callers, usually from visayas…
Cust: hiillo! wala kasi yung bell ng pon namin???
Call center Agent: Hindi naman po ba nabagsak yung phone?
Cust: Hende naman…
Call center Agent: Kailan pa po ito nagsimula?
Cust: Ang alen?
Call center Agent: .Na hindi po nagri-ring yung phone?
Cust: Nagre-reng naman ah?!
Call center Agent: Di ba wala pong ring?
Cust: Hende! yong BELL!.. yong lestahan nong babayaran namin!!!
Call center Agent: aahhh… yung BILL?!!!
(hende kase nagve-verefie mabote… tsk, tsk, tsk…)
Cannot Access the Web
Agent: Can you click in to the address bar and type www.google.com please?
Customer: I’ve don’t this already and it didn’t work.
Agent: Will you do it again for me anyway?
Agent: W-W-W-DOT-G-O-O-G-L-E-DOT-C-O-M and now press “enter”.
Customer: Oh, you have to press “enter”?
Applicant: The call center is a booming industry for the past few days
and I want to part of that boom! (sumabog ka sana!)
Secret Soup Ingredient
Conversation between a CSR at a Mobile Company in Caribbean
Agent: (pleasantly) Good-day, how may I assist?
Customer: (in heavy dialect) Morning Ma'am, I have a problem, can you help me?
Agent: Sure, delighted to assist; please let me know how I can help.
Customer: Ma'am, I was cooking a big pot of Red Pea Soup and I had my cell phone in my bosom (in bra) and I realized that it not in my bosom anymore so I started to look for the phone Ma'am then I think back and the last I had it was over the pot... (pause from customer)
Agent: Hello? Please do continue, what happened?
Customer: Yes, the peas in the pot was pressuring Ma'am, so I took the pot off the stove Ma'am and I took me long spoon and started stirring the pot to ensure the peas ok and I realize that the phone was pressuring into the pot for 30 minutes. Now I don’t know what to do, please tell me how you can help me.
Agent: Well the phone may be water damaged, I'm not sure if it will still work my dear, since it was in the pot pressuring for 30 minutes you may need to take to the repair centre, which will be……
Customer: (interjects) Ma'am, don’t care 'bout the phone, that can pass. Is the Red Pea Soup still good to eat? Don't have any more time to cook a pot of soup again. Ma'am, do please tell me the soup not spoiled...it can still 'eat'?
Agent: (long pause…mutes the call...dying of laughter) I’m not sure, perhaps you may confirm with a doctor if it still healthy to eat??
Customer: I eat it, it taste even sweeter so I will try my luck! Take care, have a good day Ma'am, thanks.
Agent: Sure, you too! Have a good day.
|[fourth slide] "Bwahahaha, I pity this guy if he's here in the Philippines (Ti te is a slang for P_ _ _ _)."|
Tech Support: "I need you to right-click on the Open Desktop."
Tech Support: "Did you get a pop-up menu?"
Tech Support: "Ok. Right click again. Do you see a pop-up menu?"
Tech Support:: "Ok, sir. Can you tell me what you have done up until this point?"
Customer: "Sure, you told me to write 'click' and I wrote 'click'."
A few minutes later......
Tech Support:: "Ok, in the bottom left hand side of the screen,canyou see the 'OK' button displayed?"
Customer: "Wow. How can you see my screen from there?"
Caller: "Can you give me the telephone number for Jack?"
Operator: "I'm sorry, sir, I don't understand who you are talking about".
Caller: "On page 1, section 5, of the user guide it clearly states that I need to unplug the fax machine from the AC wall socket and telephone Jack before
cleaning. Now, can you give me the number for Jack?"
Operator: "I think it means the telephone point on the wall".
|[first slide] Gosh, there is already a convenience store here on the floor. What else is next??|
[third slide] boss: What's this? A beauty parlor also?
boy 2: Boss... Want to straighten your hair?
I only use the bathroom!
Tech Support: "O.K. Bob, let's press the control and escape keys at the same time. That brings up a task list in the middle of the screen. Now type the letter "P" to bring up the Program Manager."
Customer: "I don't have a 'P'."
Tech: "On your keyboard, Bob."
Customer: "What do you mean?"
Tech: "'P' on your keyboard, Bob."
Customer: "I'm Not going to do that!"
If you have more of those call center jokes, please do share them on the comment box!